Thursday, August 18, 2011

All things quesadilla




What do you do when life gives you leftovers? I make quesadillas. Napoleon Dynamite was onto something. While we Americans may not be able to stake claim to the quesadilla, we’ve certainly found a way to make it our own. The list of possibilities are endless, from plain old taco cheese topped with sour cream and salsa to a pizza-themed quesadilla complete with sauce, mozzarella cheese, pepperoni and dipped in blue cheese.

This week I came up with a few of my own quesadilla combinations for lunch. I used whole wheat tortillas for my creations. It’s the insides that beg for creativity. That’s where quesadilla’s are the perfect way to use up leftover cheeses, veggies, and anything else that you can wrap your mind around.

The first quesadilla creation I came up with consisted of fresh mozzarella, feta, basil pesto, cherry tomatoes and fresh basil.

My second creation was a little more traditional, and was geared towards using up taco leftovers. I combined taco cheese and some leftover Bocca crumbles, which I cooked up with green peppers, scallions and the Dinosaur Bar-B-Que’s Cajun seasoning (because I forgot taco seasoning at the store, and because it cuts down on the sodium). I also a

dded some black beans, corn (off the cob), and cherry tomatoes from the garden. To top it off, I used guacamole, sour cream and salsa.

I think next time I’m going to veer off the beaten path and try a peanut butter and jelly quesadilla, as suggested by Cassie Craves’ blog. What’s your favorite quesadilla?

No comments:

Post a Comment