Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Too much mayonnaise in the tuna?

Welcome to my newest blog about something near and dear to my heart....cooking! As many of you already know, I've been cooking in restaurants for close to 15 years now and I'm just as passionate about whipping up culinary creations in my own kitchen at home. I am hoping this blog will help to educate, inspire, and get people talking about food. I hope you'll join as a follower of the blog and interact frequently.



I will start off with something simple. For lunch today I made the good old stand-by, a tuna melt. Coming fresh off a Niche show this weekend, I had the song "There's too much mayonnaise in the tuna" stuck in my head. So my question is, how much mayonnaise is too much mayonnaise when it comes to tuna. As far as I'm concerned (and my old roommate Maggie is concerned), the more mayo the better. Of course, you don't want there to be more mayo than tuna. I'd say I put a little less than two tablespoons of mayo in with my 6 oz. can of Wegmans brand Solid White Albacore Tuna in water. I don't know about you, but I never really got into tuna soaked in oil. I could never figure out how to drain all the oil out of it. But anyways, at first it may seem like a big too much mayo, but once you really start mashing the chunks up, it really soaks up the mayo.


I usually put one and a half slices of white american cheese on the sandwich before I grill it. Today I used Wegmans Honey Apple Oat Bread with apple bits and honey and cinnamon in it. You might thing this is a strange combination, but it's actually quite good and helps take away the fishiness of the tuna. Things can get a little sloppy once the tuna and cheese start heating up and getting all melty, but that's just how I like it. What's your preference? And have you ever tried the mayonnaise made with olive oil? What's your opinion? Can you really taste the difference?

On another note, I have to say, one of my favorite cooking accessories is my bright orange Le Creuset dutch oven. I just checked out Le Creuset's website and wasn't I surprised to see the exact same one I have is the first image on the page. It's enamled cast iron, and as pretty as it is functional. I don't use it as often as I'd like to, which may be a sign I'm not cooking as much as I used to, but when I do use it, I am reminded that sometimes it's worth it to spend the extra money on cooking gadgets because you get what you pay for. I'm actually lucky that it was a gift seeing as though it costs around $250. I'm not sure why the photo only uploads sideways but you get the picture. What's the one cooking gadget you couldn't live without?

No comments:

Post a Comment